Chased by debt collectors due to eir error (Question)

johnrm
Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation johnrm has received from other members.

comments: 2
Author

27 July 2016, 17:41

I was an efibre customer of eircom/eir for 18 months (contract) up to 2 months ago.
6 months or so into the contract I had issues with the efibre service which was unresolved even by replacing modem.
Just out of contract I tried to resolve this again and was advised that I would need to renew my contract to have the issue resolved.
I immediately switched to another provider.

After termination however, I received an invoice for a modem - I phoned eircom and detailed the timeline to an eircom representative. Apparently I was charged in error and this would be cancelled/credited. They also offered a EUR5 credit which I declined.

Last week I received a text message from AFS (Arvato Financial Services) with a reference number saying that I urgently need to contact them.
I phoned the number to get the name of the company and hung up as I had never heard of them.
Today I received a phone call from AFS. They mentioned eircom - I did not disclose who I was but advised that I had no idea who they were and no dealings with AFS - eircom should deal with the issue.

I phoned eircom - It seems the account now has a nil balance - but it took a few weeks for the cancellation to hit the account.

I annoyed with the poor level of support but disgusted that they are so trigger happy with third party debt collection.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Show first post Hide first post
  • OliviaJ
    Regular Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation OliviaJ has received from other members.

comments: 1

25 August 2017, 10:52

The same problem, I just got call from debt collection company but my account had been cancelled in April, still getting text and email about pushing me to pay my bills which is really annoying.
  • eir Vaishalieir Vaishali
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Vaishali has received from other members.

comments: 682
    Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

25 August 2017, 11:27

Hi OliviaJ,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear this.

Can you please PM your account number and full name? I'll look into this for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

-Vaishali
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation Carlf has received from other members.

comments: 6

13 September 2017, 10:29

I just received one of these text messages and I am not even an Eir customer. I signed up with one of your door to door salesmen (who was professional and convincing) only to be told by a technician that he couldn't find a phone line and that Eir do not install phone lines. That was the last I heard on the matter. I refuse to engage with a Debt collector for a debt that does not exist. I expect this issue to be resolved before close of business on Friday 15th September 2017. (And by resolved I mean confirmation from yourselves that my details have been expunged from your records and any third party you have carelessly handed over my data to have been instructed to do the same) or I am contacting ComReg . I used the account number I was issued to login to this forum so I assume you guys can manage this task from here.
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Vaishali has received from other members.

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

13 September 2017, 15:22

Hi Carlf,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear this has caused you feel this way.

Can you please PM your account number & full name? I'll look into this for you now.

-Vaishali
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

13 September 2017, 15:24

******** Carl Fogarty
    Community Moderator

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

13 September 2017, 15:44

Thanks for the details, Carlf.

I've removed your account details due to security reasons & I'd advise not to post your details in the public for data protection reasons.

Can you PM your account number & name on the account? I'll look into this for you.

-Vaishali
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

13 September 2017, 16:29

Please do not advise me on data protection. After passing my name and phone number to a debt collection agency in relation to a non existent debt.
    Community Moderator

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

13 September 2017, 16:42

I'm sorry about that, Carlf.

Can you please PM your account number & full name?

-Vaishali
  • DebbieW
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation DebbieW has received from other members.

14 September 2017, 16:44

This is exactly what happened to me this morning - I received a text message and an email from AFS asking me to contact them urgently! Not knowing who they were, (and not wanting to contact them directly) I googled the company and this thread came up in the search results.
    Putting the pieces together, I've now realised that they have contacted me because Eir erroneously charged me for a modem which I had returned two months ago when I changed over to SKY. Ironically, money is owed to ME by Eir, as I'm due a credit back on line rental charges that they debited in advance, (after the period that I transferred over). Because of the modem charge, the credit was not paid out, and now it seems my details have been forwarded to a debt collection agency.

I have spoken to Eir customer care twice and both times I've been told that a supervisor will contact me in relation to getting my money back. (It would appear that the business practice of Eir is to only refund money after the customer contacts you, and even then be prepared for a long battle, I'm still in the middle of it!).

Eir, appalling service. Stop sending your current (or old) customer details to debt collection agencies, based on your own internal accounting failures. And pay what is owed to customers without unnecessary delay.
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

15 September 2017, 15:21

It seems eir are ignoring my requests for an explanation as to why my information was given to a debt collector and exactly what information was shared with this third party. My question now is, do I have to make a formal request for this information under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts so I can start tidying up your gross mismanagement of my personal information.
  • eir Prabhakaraneir Prabhakaran

You can see here how much appreciation eir Prabhakaran has received from other members.

comments: 144

15 September 2017, 16:16

Hi Carlf,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear about that.

Can you PM your account number, please? I'll have this looked for you.

-Prabhakaran
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

15 September 2017, 16:21

Hi Prabhakaran I was in a pm chat with your colleague yesterday which was a waste of my time. Before I do this again can you confirm you understand and have the capability to do what I have outlined in my last post?

You can see here how much appreciation eir Prabhakaran has received from other members.

15 September 2017, 16:28

I can completely understand your concern, Carlf, however, we'd need the account number to look further.

Apologies.

-Prabhakaran
  • Carlf
    Occasional Poster

18 September 2017, 13:51

Still no satisfactory response so I have issued a formal data access request. In addition despite being informed by yourselves that i do not owe you anything. i am still receiving calls from the debt collection agency whom you breached the data protection Act to supply my personal information to without just cause.

18 September 2017, 15:20

I can understand your concern completely & My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

I'll respond to your PM in regards to this.

-Prabhakaran
  • DebbieW
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation DebbieW has received from other members.

18 September 2017, 20:54

Can somebody from Eir please contact me regarding my harrassment from a debt collector? Carlf I may follow your lead and request a data access request. I have today received yet another call from the debt collection agency.
  • eir Balajieir Balaji
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Balaji has received from other members.

comments: 179
    Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

19 September 2017, 12:25

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear that. I'm unable to arrange you a callback option from my end. I'd suggest you dial on 1901 in regards to this.

Apologise for the inconvenience caused.

-Balaji
  • fay1
    Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation fay1 has received from other members.

comments: 1

12 October 2017, 12:10

Hi
    I closed my account in June, last month I confirmed with eir on 1901 that my account was closed. They had forgotten to cancel their direct debit so I was told that the person I was dealing with would do that for me and clear my account as nothing was owing.
    Now it seems another month has passed, I am still getting bill notifications and now Arvato are looking for me to contact them.
    Eir - can you just sort this out please? I am sick of calling you. My account number is ********.
    Community Moderator

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

13 October 2017, 10:58

Hi Fay1,

Thanks for getting in touch & I'm sorry to hear this.

I've edited your account details from the public post. I'd recommend not to post your account details in public for data protection reasons.

Can you please PM me your account number & full name? I'll look into this for you now.

-Vaishali

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)