Query Cancelling Broadband Service (Question)

ALark
Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation ALark has received from other members.

comments: 3
Author

17 January 2017, 17:16

Dear EIR CS,

I rang the cancellation department last Friday (13th Jan) requesting to cancel my broadband service and initiate the 30 day notice period. However the agent informed me that he could not initiate the cancellation process because the payment for my current service bill up to 6th Jan won't be debited from my account until the 23rd Jan. My query is that I hope I will not be expected to pay for broadband service between 7th Jan - 23rd Jan as it is not my choice to have to wait until after the 23rd to initiate the cancellation process. Can you please have your opinion on this?

Also in addition, why do Eir require a 30 day cancellation period? What is the purpose of this rather than an immediate cancellation?
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

comments: 832
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

18 January 2017, 16:49

Hi ALark,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear this.

I can confirm that you'd be charged until the last day of your service & it is under norms that eir follow 30 day notice period.

I'd recommend checking this link here for the terms and conditions.

Apologies for any inconvenience. - Addy
  • ALark
    Newbie Poster

Author

19 January 2017, 21:57

The link doesn't work you provided but I found the terms anyway - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf. As far as I have read these apply to someone who is within their contract, while I myself am outside my contract so why would this apply to me? I don't agree with been charged unfairly because Eir isn't capable of cancelling my service on the date that I request it. I will not be paying any additional charges, after the 23rd Jan when payment for the previous bill has been cancelled I will be cancelling my direct debit with my bank for Eir so that I will not be charged unfairly.

Are you telling me that even during the 30 day notice period that I'll still be charged for this poor broadband service even though have already switched to another provider and am not using the Eir service?
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

20 January 2017, 12:23

Sorry to hear that ALark,

Can you PM your account number & name on the account? I'll look into this for you.

-Addy
  • ALark
    Newbie Poster

Author

23 January 2017, 13:39

Is there any update on this? I have sent you the details through PM. I need to get this sorted asap.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

24 January 2017, 16:18

Sorry for the delay.

I'll get back to you in PM in relation to this.

- Addy
  • christina091
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation christina091 has received from other members.

comments: 2

1 February 2017, 21:59

Its funny how Eir works. They interrupted my internet service due a a bill due (no problem here) but they stopped my service on the 24 Jan 2017 and then sent me a bill for €49.99 for guess what period?! 25th Jan - 24th Feb?!?! Even though i have NOT used any internet/GB so how can you charge someone for a service that they don't avail of?
  • ALark
    Newbie Poster

Author

2 February 2017, 13:11

I agree with you, if you look through this forum 90% of the comments are related to Eir providing poor service or making it extremely difficult for them to cancel their service. I am actually outraged completely by how the loyalty team have handled my wish to cancel my broadband service. Initially I was told there would be no fees during the 30 day notice period and now I'm told there are actually fees for the line rental which is ridiculous since I've returned my modem so I cant use the service anyway and instead of shutting down the line, Eir are actually keeping it active for 30 days more to squeeze the last bit of money out of me even though I am outside of my contract. I don't believe this is right and the terms which they have supplied me with don't clearly state I'm responsible for these charges. Ireland needs more competition to shake up all these lazy providers because at the moment they have the monopoly and know people will still flock to them out of desperation and so believe them can get away with this disgraceful behavior.

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)