Everything you need to know about Wifi Calling for Androids & iPhones (Solved)

doney
Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation doney has received from other members.

comments: 2
Author

4 September 2016, 13:09

I live in an area with poor phone signal.
Is it possible to change network mode to WiFi calling
Solved. Read answer here:

We can confirm that Wifi Calling is available to our eir customers

What is Wifi Calling?

eir WiFi Calling lets you use your smartphone to call and text over any WiFi connection so you can now get even better mobile coverage anywhere in Ireland. Better still, you don’t need an additional app for this exclusive service.

For now, we have the following devices enabled for WiFi calling....

iPhone 5C (including iPhone SE) all support WiFi Calling.
(iPhones do not need to be purchased directly from eir/Meteor)

Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and S8 , HTC U11, Samsung A3 & A5, Huawei P10 all support WiFi Calling. You need to make sure that your software is updated to the Nougat version.
(All Android handsets must be purchased from eir/Meteor)

You must be on the following plans...

SIM Only Lite -Current
SIM Only Regular 4G
SIM Only Super 4G
SIM Only Super Deluxe 4G
Smartphone Lite - Current
Smartphone Regular 4G
Smartphone Super 4G
Smartphone Super Deluxe 4G
SIMO Regular Extra 10GB 4G Current
SIMO Super Deluxe Extra 30GB 4G Current
SIMO Super Extra 15GB 4G Current
SIM Only Regular Extra 4G
SIM Only Super Deluxe Extra 4G
SIM Only Super Extra 4G
Smartphone Regular Extra 4G Current
Smartphone Super Deluxe Extra 4G Current

or

eirMobile 100 - 1GB + Roaming SIM Only
eirMobile 400 - 10GB + Roaming SIM Only
eirMobile Unlimited - 15GB + Roaming SIM Only
eirMobile Unlimited - 30GB + Roaming SIM Only
eirMobile 100 - 1GB + Roaming
eirMobile 400 - 10GB + Roaming
eirMobile Unlimited 15GB + Roaming
eirMobile Unlimited 30GB + Roaming
eirMobile 400 - 4GB + Roaming SIM only
eirMobile Unlimited 10GB + Roaming SIM Only
All eirMobile Small Business tariff plans
Smartphone Super Extra 4G Current

Unfortunately this is not available to PAYG customers

What are the benefits of using WiFi Calling?

• You can use WiFi Calling through any WiFi Connection
  • Make calls and send texts anywhere in the world for the same price you pay at home
  • You don't need an additional app for this new service
  • All on your existing handset at no extra charge

How do I enable WiFi Calling?

To activate this (Android), you just need to go into your Settings > Connections > WiFI Call to activate this and then contact us so we can add this to your account. Customers on an iPhone 5C or above who have updated their Software to the latest version can enable WIFI Calling by following these easy steps:

• Click on ‘Settings’
  • Click on ‘Phone’
  • Click on ‘Wifi Calling'
  • Enable using sliding bar

Calls and Texts Allowances Explained

Domestic calls & Texts over WiFi Calling

Calls and texts made over WiFi are deducted from your plans inclusive allowances.

Roaming calls & Texts over WiFi Calling

Calls and texts made over WiFi to Irish destinations while roaming are deducted from your plans inclusive allowances meaning no roaming charges while using WiFi Calling

International Calls & Texts over WiFi Calling while in Ireland

These are charged at International Call and SMS rates. Please note that if you have purchased an additional International add-on, calls and texts will be deducted from this allowance before you begin being charged at International rates.

Roaming Calls and Texts over WiFi Calling to another international destination

These are charged at International Call and SMS rates. Please note that if you have purchased an additional International add-on, calls and texts will be deducted from this allowance before you begin being charged at International rates.

Moving out of WiFi Coverage

For the moment, if you move out of WiFi coverage your call will drop. However we are working towards implementing a seamless handover solution so that it doesn’t matter whether you move between mobile and WiFi networks, the conversation continues.

What is the minimum WiFi bandwidth required for WiFi Calling?

To use WiFi calling we recommend a connection speed of 1mbps. If you are still having problems it's likely your broadband service doesn’t have enough bandwidth to support WiFi Calling.

If you're using public WiFi, congestion or low bandwidth may affect call quality. You may need to check you are logged in correctly to access WiFi as not all public WiFi hotspots will keep you logged in. If you continue to experience a poor connection, we recommend you turn off WiFi.

Meteor WiFi Calling and your data allowance

• WiFi Calling won’t use up any of your inclusive data allowance – you’ll be using a WiFi connection, rather than the eir Mobile network.
  • The WiFi data consumption is minimal.

Changing supplementary services such as Call Waiting, Forwarding and Number Withhold while connected to WiFi Calling

In order to amend the above supplementary services while connected to WiFi Calling, you must also have access to cellular coverage.

Once you have amended these services, they will work over WiFi Calling regardless of whether you have cellular coverage or not.

Calling 999/112 Emergency Servcies on WiFi Calling

You can call the emergency services on 999, but they can’t identify your location if you don’t also have cellular coverage. So you should use a fixed line phone for these calls and only use WiFi Calling as a last resort. You should never rely on WiFi Calling as your only way to call emergency services.

If you have any queries regarding this, please let us know

View original comment
Show first post Hide first post
  • HowlinWolf
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation HowlinWolf has received from other members.

comments: 7

3 October 2017, 20:33

eir_Kev wrote:

Thanks for the info, guys. We have been advised, in all cases, when the phone has not been issued by eir, it would need to be sent for repair to be able to use WiFi calling.

It was working without any issue before joining in with Meteor..

Cheers,
    Kev
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation mgilan has received from other members.

comments: 10

3 October 2017, 22:48

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence but the wifi calling seems to work ok after the update to iOS 11.0.2 (released today).
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

4 October 2017, 00:29

I jinxed it, the issue’s back 😕
  • HowlinWolf
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation HowlinWolf has received from other members.

4 October 2017, 02:08

it's working fine for me now but let's see will we be charge again before applying for a refund :P
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation alanashe has received from other members.

comments: 14

4 October 2017, 14:46

I had to activate iMessage twice last night, such a pain! I'm already thinking about porting out! In the 6 days I've been an Eir customer, I've had to activate iMessage 10 times.
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation alanashe has received from other members.

4 October 2017, 14:51

@ Eir_Kev

You keep mentioning that we need to send our phones away so we can get some software added, Since I have an iPhone that's enabled for WIFI calling, what other software or update would Apple allow you to put onto an iPhone? As far as I am aware, the only software you can add to iPhone comes from Apple via iTunes, unless you jailbreak phone.
  • deadl0ck
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation deadl0ck has received from other members.

comments: 2

4 October 2017, 17:29

Crap - I have an unlocked LG V20 and though I could enable WiFi Calling and then just use it if I switched to Eir.

I thin kit should it should be made clear on the Eir marketing of WiFi calling that you must have purchased your phone from eir in order to use it, otherwise a phone s/w update is required (I can't see a lot of people giving up their phone for a week in order to get this done)
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

You can see here how much appreciation eir_Kev has received from other members.

comments: 76
    Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

5 October 2017, 10:11

I understand your frustration. I'm still in a dialogue with another department regarding this. Would you all be able to confirm if you are using iOS 11.0.2?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • HowlinWolf
    Occasional Poster

5 October 2017, 10:17

yes, it looks like it might sort out the iMessage and FaceTime activation issue but still no WiFiCalling and we are still being charged €0.12 per every activation attempt
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

5 October 2017, 12:37

That definitely shouldn't be happening. They do send once in a while but certainly not consistently like it has been. Would anyone who's still having this problem mind sending me a PM with their number and PIN and I will contact Apple on your behalf.

In all truth, we're struggling to find the issue here but I'd be happy to escalate that for you.

Kevin
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

5 October 2017, 18:06

I’m using the latest iOS, had to turn off WiFi calling as I have now sent 11 iMessage activation txts in 7 days, any chance of getting these refunded?
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

6 October 2017, 12:51

Hi guys,

Just to touch base on this, our technical support team are aware of the issue and have raised a ticket to get to the bottom of that.

@alanashe can you PM your number and PIN and I can check that out?

-Kev
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

6 October 2017, 13:15

Hi Kev,

I did send you a PM, can you confirm?
  • Helke
    Contributor

You can see here how much appreciation Helke has received from other members.

comments: 28

3 November 2017, 11:33

I turned wifi calling off (iPhone SE, updated to iOS 11.1, bought from apple) and that message "Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iMessage" still pops up.

By the way, iMessage 'is' enabled as I can see in the settings and it is working fine even I tap "cancel" on that popup all the time.

I might buy a sim for a different network to find out whether this is an apple or eir issue.

I am wondering whether anybody, who bought the phone through meteor, has the same problem. Just trying to pin it down. Or is the problem only with customers who have been previously with meteor or bought their phone from apple?

Charging for the UK text to activate iMessages is, as far as I know, an apple thing. Strange, that they are unable to verify it any other way. Using a local number would be nice of them.
  • eir Vaishalieir Vaishali
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Vaishali has received from other members.

comments: 682
    Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

6 November 2017, 15:32

Hi Helke,

When joining a network, turning it off or get a new iPhone, an activation charge will occur from Apple to confirm your Apple ID so you can either top-up so the charge can go through or you can deactivate this.

I would recommend if you could go to your Settings >messages > turn off iMessage > go back into your settings > click on face time > turn off facetime. If you would like to keep using your iMessage or face time I would recommend topping up by a minimum of €5 to allow this activate message to send. This should be resolved now.

-Vaishali
  • Helke
    Contributor

6 November 2017, 15:45

I might not have made myself clear enough. My iMessage and facetime "is" enabled. The message "Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iMessage" is not supposed to pop up ever again unless I get a new phone, etc. but IT IS! Turning off wifi calling also made no difference. That was all I was trying to say.

This is not an issue caused by my stupidity or me not knowing or understanding technical problems, it is a problem with either eir or a problem with apple, it is an issue that a message pops up a few times a day which should not pop up.
  • HowlinWolf
    Occasional Poster

6 November 2017, 16:34

correct me if i'm wrong....first of all why are we being charged for the service that was previously FREE ?!
  • Helke
    Contributor

12 November 2017, 20:45

I must correct my post about iMessage and wifi calling. When I turn off wifi calling and enable iMessage, it is fine once iMessage is enabled. It does not seem to ask me again to enable it. I guess, I have to either live without wifi calling or iMessage. Haven't decided. Maybe turn both off and use one of many chat/video/voice call apps which can be used with iPhones, android phones, MACs, Windows and Linux computers.

The apple support says, that it is an eir issue and that I should ring eir (he was dealing with my case over several days, talking to technicians, trying to get to the bottom of the problem). No, I do not want to ring eir having first to listen to half an hour of bad quality music and then talking to a person with NO technical understanding (that is my experience, had no luck so far and no time for that). Here, at the forum, I do not have to listen to the music...

I could have a guess where the problem is: in settings -> General -> about, it says that my carrier is "Meteor 30.0". There might be a bit of a compatibility issue with wifi calling and iMessages. The problem only seems to affect former Meteor customers who enable wifi calling AND iMessages (might be wrong there). To find out whether I might be correct, it might require to contact a technician who knows more than the usual support staff and who has access to the programming, who might be trying to have an iPhone SE set up like mine with Meteor 30.0 as the carrier and to enable iMessages and wifi calling to see for himself. As long as this is not happening, I do not have a hope that the problem will ever get recognised, found and fixed.

That's my view for the moment. If I should be wrong, I'll happily will post an update.
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

2 December 2017, 21:24

I don't want to jinx it again, but it seems that combination of iOS 11.2 and carrier profile "Eir 31.0" fixed the issue.
  • Helke
    Contributor

2 December 2017, 22:02

I am going to try it. I had wifi calling off and did not switch it on again to make iMessages work. My guess is, that the carrier change to Eir 31.0 did the trick. My conclusion is that my guess in my last post has been correct and that Eir finally fixed it.

Thanks for your update mgilan.
  • Helke
    Contributor

2 December 2017, 23:37

So far so good. I switched on wifi calling and it actually turned on instantly. I did not have any problems since an hour. All working fine.

I was chatting to somebody about this and he replied:

I bet Apple had a hand in that
    I’m sure they have deals with Eir
    They’re to refuse to ever deal with them again if they don’t get their act together
    Apple are like that
    You mess up with them, and you’re out

That could have been the case. Apple likes happy customers and does not like to be blamed for something that is not related to their hard/software.

I must say that it has been a very pleasant experience to deal with apple support. They were very helpful and insisted to solve the problem, whether it was their fault or not. They were very knowledgeable and, when the first could not help, I was passed on to a "proper" technician who was really good, listening, thinking, solving. No waiting and listening to bad music, very efficient.

If only eir had such a support...
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

2 December 2017, 23:50

All good here as well.
  • eir Vaishalieir Vaishali
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Vaishali has received from other members.

comments: 682
    Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

eVision Guru

eVision Guru

5 December 2017, 10:54

No worries, Mgilan.

-Vaishali
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

5 December 2017, 11:01

Could we get more details about the issue, please? A statement would be very welcome, at least because we were forced to pay for the iMessage (reactivation) SMS's.
  • eir Kyleeir Kyle
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Kyle has received from other members.

comments: 700
    Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

5 December 2017, 16:16

Hi there mgilan

Unfortunately, this is still under review and sincere apologies for it taking so long. We've only received an update yesterday confirming this.

-Kyle
    To help speed our response, unsolicited PMs will not be answered and please include a link to your original post when sending private messages. Also, please remember to click on “this comment answers my question” if we have helped - Thank you!

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)