iPhone update issues

alanashe
Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation alanashe has received from other members.

comments: 12
Author

28 September 2017, 20:06

Hi,

I joined Eir today and i'm trying to get WIFI calling to work, I have an iPhone 6 and I have turned on WIFI Calling in the settings.

The funny thing is, one minute the phone will show WIFI Calling, then the next its gone, anyone any ideas? Im using Virgin Media Broadband.

Thanks
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation alanashe has received from other members.

Author

29 September 2017, 11:25

Hi Kevin,

No the iPhone was bought direct from Apple, it finally connected but it took about an hour to connect, while it was trying to connect it kept dropping cell signal.
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation mgilan has received from other members.

comments: 7

1 October 2017, 21:38

Hi, I'm probably facing the same issue since my phone (iPhone SE bought directly from Apple) switched form Meteor to Eir. After I enable the Wi-Fi Calling, my signal starts to drop and the operator name is switching between "Eir wifi calling" and "Eir". Also iMessages and Facetime is constantly re-registring if I keep the feature turned on.

I tried to restart the phone, reset the network settings, reset the phone completely and also the SIM card was swapped for a new one, but nothing helped.
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

You can see here how much appreciation eir_Kev has received from other members.

comments: 343
    Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

2 October 2017, 10:33

Thanks alanashe,

If you pop in store, the guys will be able to advise you further on that.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

2 October 2017, 10:38

Hi mgilan,

iMessage and FaceTime will periodically re-register on your phone. This commonly happens after upgrades or changes by Apple and in many cases, you won't be aware it has happened. Apple do this by sending an activation text from your phone to the UK which syncs your iMessage etc to their latest settings.

Can you advise how often this is happening to you?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

2 October 2017, 10:48

Kevin, I don't think so—my carrier settings is "Meteor 29.0". I just discovered one thing, it seems that the there is an issue when you combine Virgin Media broadband+iOS11+wifi calling. I think you guys should get it touch with Virgin technicians to investigate this. In my office, the ISP is 3Play plus and the wifi calling is stable. What I can try is to go to the store and "migrate" my plan to Eir, so the carrier settings is not Meteor—this should cause full re-provisioning of my phone.

About the iMessages, the re-registration is happening each ±20 min. when I enable the wifi calling and the ISP is Virgin.
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

2 October 2017, 14:27

mgilan wrote:

Hi, I'm probably facing the same issue since my phone (iPhone SE bought directly from Apple) switched form Meteor to Eir. After I enable the Wi-Fi Calling, my signal starts to drop and the operator name is switching between "Eir wifi calling" and "Eir". Also iMessages and Facetime is constantly re-registring if I keep the feature turned on.

I tried to restart the phone, reset the network settings, reset the phone completely and also the SIM card was swapped for a new one, but nothing helped.

That's the same problem I have, tried new SIM but still the same
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

2 October 2017, 14:30

mgilan wrote:

Kevin, I don't think so—my carrier settings is "Meteor 29.0". I just discovered one thing, it seems that the there is an issue when you combine Virgin Media broadband+iOS11+wifi calling. I think you guys should get it touch with Virgin technicians to investigate this. In my office, the ISP is 3Play plus and the wifi calling is stable. What I can try is to go to the store and "migrate" my plan to Eir, so the carrier settings is not Meteor—this should cause full re-provisioning of my phone.

About the iMessages, the re-registration is happening each ±20 min. when I enable the wifi calling and the ISP is Virgin.

Same with me, iMessage is constantly trying to register ever half hour or so, both on Wifi Call and when I switch it of.
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

2 October 2017, 14:34

eir_Kev wrote:

Thanks alanashe,

If the phone was not issued by the eir, it would need to be sent off to have our software added to the phone by our repair team.

If you pop in store, the guys will be able to advise you further on that.

I don't think you can add 3rd party software onto an iPhone.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

3 October 2017, 15:32

Thanks for the info, guys. I will contact our networks team with the details provided and try to confirm this for you.

In order to ensure you have our latest data settings on the phone, can you sync the phone with iTunes? This may help with the iMessage issue you guys are having.

I'll be back to you shortly regarding the WiFi calling.

Cheers,
    Kev
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

3 October 2017, 16:26

Kevin, thank you for getting back in touch and I'll wait for the next update.
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

6 October 2017, 13:17

Ah, apologies, I see that there. I'll be with you in two secs.

-Kev
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

17 October 2017, 17:47

Hi Eir_Kev,

Any update on the WiFi calling? Also, im still having to send the odd iMessage activation txt, that’s around 15 now since I joined Eir
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

19 October 2017, 16:17

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay with this. We're still in dialogue with Apple to resolve this and there is an open ticket number in place 440290.

We should know more in 24-48 hours but if you've any questions in the meantime, be sure to let me know.

-Kev
  • mgilan
    Occasional Poster

19 October 2017, 17:04

Hi Kev,

That's great news! Could you please ask your colleagues if it would be possible to maintain a copy of the Apple ticket on https://openradar.appspot.com as well?
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

20 October 2017, 15:24

Unfortunately we don't currently log faults on external sites, I'm afraid but I'l keep pushing tech for a resolution and post here once I know more.

-Kev
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

28 October 2017, 17:55

I updated to iOS 11.0.3 last week and wifi calling was working perfectly, today its gone back to the way it was, 3 imessage activation texts sent today.
  • eir Kyleeir Kyle
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir Kyle has received from other members.

comments: 1185
    Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

7 November 2017, 13:53

Hi there Helke & HowlinWolf

@Helke - If this keeps popping up, I would suggest contacting Apple's Help & Support site at by clicking here or 1800804062

@HowlinWolf - This was always a chargeable activation text to avail of the Apple features. If you ever deactivate the service and then re-activate it, another charge will occur

-Kyle
    To help speed our response, unsolicited PMs will not be answered and please include a link to your original post when sending private messages. Also, please remember to click on “this comment answers my question” if we have helped - Thank you!
  • Helke
    Contributor

You can see here how much appreciation Helke has received from other members.

comments: 33

7 November 2017, 14:18

I already contacted apple support.

The problem for us customers is, that we can not pin the problem down unless we get help. Personally, I am not sure yet who is the right support to contact (apple or eir). iPhone users, who are with other networks, do not seem to have the problem. But, as you can see from post 26 onwards, I am not the only one who's phone is trying to register for iMessages or FaceTime constantly. However, whether apple gives me the solution to the problem or eir, it does not matter to me as long as eir and apple don't blame each other, which would not get the problem fixed. Due to the fact that several of eir's customers have the same problem, it would be of an advantage if eir staff would know how to fix it - even if it was an apple problem.

I think that HowlinWolf has the same problem. It is not about deactivation and reactivation. It tries to activate even iMessage is turned on.
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

8 November 2017, 22:39

Another day, another iMessage activation text sent, WiFi calling gone again and I’m now getting the message to contact Meteor to enable WiFi calling on my account. All this when my battery ran out and powered off.
  • eir_Keveir_Kev
    Community Manager

Mobile Expert

Mobile Expert

Device Expert

Device Expert

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

9 November 2017, 10:25

Hi guys,

I completely understand your frustration with this. Our product team are still reviewing this with Apple. We had anticipated a quicker resolution but unfortunately as it isn't a network issue, it is taking longer than we had hoped.

We are liasing with this team daily who have advised they will update as soon as any breakthrough on the problem.

Again, I apologise for the long delay with that.

Kev
  • alanashe
    Occasional Poster

Author

12 November 2017, 00:29

Just updated to 11.1.1 still the same, another iMessage activation text sent, and again I’m being asked to contact meteor to activate WiFi calling

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)