Phishing e-mail Attack Targeting eir Customers 13/01/2017 (Question)

Tags:

eir_Kev
Super Star

You can see here how much appreciation eir_Kev has received from other members.

comments: 339
Author

13 January 2017, 14:31

To our customers,

It has come to our attention that a fraudulent eir billing email is in circulation at moment. This mail is advising customers that their latest payment has failed and there was a problem with the Direct Debit information eir has on file retrieving your payment. The customer is then brought to a fake My eir landing page, where the scammers will attempt to gain customer's sensitive information.

Please take note of this fraudulent e-mail below to ensure you are not affected by this :

Dear .....................

Your bank has let us know that there isn't a valid Direct Bebit instruction set up between eir and your card number xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (not shown for security purposes).
We were unable to retrieve payment for your latest bill with the payment method that we have on file. Therefore, we will suspend your eir Broadband and eir TV services within the next 24 hours.
To prevent this from happening, you need to update your payment method with us.
Go to eir Funding your Eircom Payments and provide us with a valid payment card in order to continue using our services.

We apologize for any inconvenice this may have caused.
Thank you for using eir.

Also, please note that the correct secure URL address for My eir will always begin with HTTPS and the link below can be used if you are unsure. We advise not click on any links in an email you are unsure of and please report the email as spam to your mail provider by clicking on "mark as spam" within the email.

You can check your account information in your My eir account.

As an active member of the Irish Telecommunications Security Fraud Community (ITSFF) we work to help raise awareness of these scams so that consumers can avoid becoming victims of fraud. Again, please be extra vigilant of unsolicited phone calls or emails, and report all suspicious activity to your local Garda station.

If you need any advice on these issues you can also contact consumer help or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Remember...

• Never disclose any information particularly personal or financial information.
• Delete the SMS/MMS or email message immediately
• Never click on web links contained within such messages or download content associated with the message
• Do not respond to calls or messages from an unknown source.
• If you have provided personal bank account or credit card details please contact your bank immediately to advise that details have been compromised. The financial institution will be in a position to advise regarding cancelling bank or credit cards.

Thank you

eir care
  • rick1706
    Occasional Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation rick1706 has received from other members.

comments: 1

21 January 2017, 20:21

Is this another one of these emails
    Dear eir client,
    Eircom is now eir. Our name has changed but your email account
    details have not.
    You'll need to confirm your email address.

Please follow the link below and log in to webmail :

http://www.mky.com/eircom/logintoEircom/confirmEmail.html

Your action is needed.
    Once your email address is confirmed, you will be able to use all
    our services again.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

comments: 900
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

24 January 2017, 16:01

Hi Rick,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This looks like a phishing e-mail. We are aware of a series of unsolicited emails being received by members of the public where the email appears to come from eir.

You can read more on this here.

- Addy
  • Tradman
    Contributor

You can see here how much appreciation Tradman has received from other members.

comments: 24

10 March 2017, 09:47

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of these now that I've blocked them as junk mail. Now I'm not getting the real emails from eircom and it is becoming harder to determine which is real or not. We as consumers do not have the time to analyze each email due to volumes we deal with each day. It's a very poor showing by eir to allow this continue for so long without dealing with in a more serious manner. Surely you should be able to trace the source and or block/filter them yourselves without asking the customers to do so.

Sean
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

13 March 2017, 17:00

Hi Tradman,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are aware of a series of unsolicited emails being received by members of the public where the email appears to come from eir. You can read more on this here

-Addy
  • Tradman
    Contributor

You can see here how much appreciation Tradman has received from other members.

comments: 24

19 March 2017, 19:48

Typical bog standard response, no commitment by eircom to address the root cause of the problem.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

20 March 2017, 16:07

I'm sorry you feel this way Tradman.

We've relayed this with the relevant team to have this Investigated & to resolve as quick as possible.

My sincere apologies for the Inconvenience you've been through.

-Addy

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)