Chased by debt collectors due to eir error (Question)

johnrm
Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation johnrm has received from other members.

comments: 2
Author

27 July 2016, 17:41

I was an efibre customer of eircom/eir for 18 months (contract) up to 2 months ago.
6 months or so into the contract I had issues with the efibre service which was unresolved even by replacing modem.
Just out of contract I tried to resolve this again and was advised that I would need to renew my contract to have the issue resolved.
I immediately switched to another provider.

After termination however, I received an invoice for a modem - I phoned eircom and detailed the timeline to an eircom representative. Apparently I was charged in error and this would be cancelled/credited. They also offered a EUR5 credit which I declined.

Last week I received a text message from AFS (Arvato Financial Services) with a reference number saying that I urgently need to contact them.
I phoned the number to get the name of the company and hung up as I had never heard of them.
Today I received a phone call from AFS. They mentioned eircom - I did not disclose who I was but advised that I had no idea who they were and no dealings with AFS - eircom should deal with the issue.

I phoned eircom - It seems the account now has a nil balance - but it took a few weeks for the cancellation to hit the account.

I annoyed with the poor level of support but disgusted that they are so trigger happy with third party debt collection.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • johnrm
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation johnrm has received from other members.

comments: 2
    Author

3 August 2016, 17:29

I have since received an email from afs and now another phone call.
    Please eir, sort your finances out.
  • eir_shruthieir_shruthi
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_shruthi has received from other members.

comments: 411

3 August 2016, 17:49

Hi johnrm,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to our Eir community:)

I am extremely sorry to hear this has happened. I can assure you this is not the level of service Eir aim to provide. I can completely understand your frustration and upset with this and I will be sure to relay your feedback onto the relevant department.

I will be more than happy to take a look into this for you and clarify if all the above has been done on your should you wish to PM me your account number.

Thanks,
    Shruthi.
  • donaldlp
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation donaldlp has received from other members.

comments: 5

27 October 2016, 18:38

Hi johnrm
    Be careful that your credit rating has not been adversely affected. These debt collection agencies are notorious.
    Donald
  • dyl
    Occasional Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation dyl has received from other members.

comments: 1

23 November 2016, 23:18

Hi
    I've have had the same experience since I left eir back in august after they gave me opportunity to via a letter telling me they were raising their prices. They have billed me on three separate occasions for breaking contract, each time I've had to get on to them and they have apologised for the mistake. So I was mistaken in thinking that was the end of it until today I got a call from Belgard debt collectors. So back on to Eir today. Another apology. Of course they won't send any confirmation emails or letters. Their call centre people apparently don't have access to any email system in 2016. I am expecting more calls from Belgard, luckily I don't live nearby or I'd expect they would be sending repo guys on horses to take my car wheels. I'll never go back to Eir as they don't seem to be able to cope with any standard customer transactions. Bye! Dylan.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

comments: 881
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

24 November 2016, 18:30

Hi Dyl,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Can you PM your account number and the name on the account? I'll look into this for you

Apologies for the incoinvenince.

-Addy
  • briangatwood
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation briangatwood has received from other members.

comments: 3

26 November 2016, 17:21

Yes, johnrm, we've experienced the same thing. We left eir in August, just like dyl, and it took two months for them to sort our situation out, just to receive a text message from the same debt collectors you mentioned on Thursday (three months after cancellation). I wrote a post about this nightmare, but, apparently, 'the level of service eir aims to provide' now includes getting rid of evidence by censorship too, because a day later they deleted the entire topic.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

28 November 2016, 13:13

Hi birangatwood,

I've responded to you on the other thread.

Regards,
    Addy
  • SharonAyl

You can see here how much appreciation SharonAyl has received from other members.

5 December 2016, 14:01

Hi,

I signed up with Eir in December 2015 for phone & internet, I cancelled my contract within the 14 days, as I was not happy with the service and the internet was extremely slow. I then had to call again to ensure it was cancelled and that the modem was collected. All seemed to have been sorted, I started to receive emails notifying me of my monthly bill which was due (more than what I had signed up for from €47 to €66). I called again and was assured that I no longer had an account with Eir. I left it at that until now when I received a call from AFS, whom I did not speak to (as I had no idea if this company was legitimate or a scam) and since received a text asking me to call them. I am disgusted to have received this call, what do customers need to do in order for Eir to update their records correctly. You are losing so much business because of the incompetent service. Could someone from Eir please contact me directly.
  • Raymo

You can see here how much appreciation Raymo has received from other members.

7 December 2016, 02:46

Hi, I signed up with eir in September 2014, my contract was cancelled in August 2016. Up until then I had no issue. In the past few weeks I have been getting phone calls and letters from AFS telling me I must pay for the modem which was free when I signed up, contact me please as AFS have told me my credit rating will be affected and they will take legal action
  • eir_shruthieir_shruthi
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_shruthi has received from other members.

comments: 411

7 December 2016, 16:30

Hi Raymo,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear this.

Can you PM your account number and the name on the account and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Shruthi.
  • IFarrell
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation IFarrell has received from other members.

comments: 8

15 December 2016, 13:28

Hey all, I'm curious as to how these issues with AFS were resolved as I received an unsolicited text message from them this morning having recently moved from eir requiring me to ring them urgently. A check with @eircare on twitter has confirmed I do not owe any money to eir. They did bill me earlier last month erroneously about the non return of a modem but again the twitter crew cleared up this error. I do not intend answering this debt collection agency.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

15 December 2016, 13:41

Hi IFarrel,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear that.

Can you PM your account number? I'll look into this for you.

-Addy
  • IFarrell
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation IFarrell has received from other members.

15 December 2016, 15:51

Just an update for anyone thinking of cancelling or switching providers. Eircom did indeed forward my details to a debt collection agency for a non existent debt, compounding many other stressful errors they made during my shambolic changing of providers in october this year. I didn't even receive any correspondence from this company prior to them taking this abhorrent action and my advice to all is is to document every detail in the process of leaving this company. It's all very well apologising for inconvenience caused but this was more than inconvenience this was a sleight on my reputation/good character!
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

20 December 2016, 15:30

Hi Ian,

I've responded to your PM.

-Addy
  • adamkmccarthy
    Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation adamkmccarthy has received from other members.

26 January 2017, 12:25

Thanks everybody above for sharing your stories here. I googled AFS and this was the first result. I've been an Eircom customer for 6 years now, and recently moved house. I had to terminate one account two months ago and set up a new one. No problem. I terminated the old account as per instructed and everything was fine, any time I spoke with Eir, they knew what was happening.

Last week, I got a bill, forwarded to me from the old address for the last two months - after the account had been closed. I rang and they said it had already been refunded. Curious, I thought.

Now I get a text message from AFS and having read all these reports, im now wondering how on earth Eir screwed this up. I cancelled an account, got charged *by them* after that fact AND have a debt collector looking for money? WTF Eir?
  • IFarrell
    Occasional Poster

26 January 2017, 12:33

Adam I see they're still up to their old tricks. They'll apologise to you, as they do to everyone they cause stress to, but it's just a corporate response. I complained to comreg and the reply from eir was unacceptable. My complaint wasn't fully investigated and the apology was blasé to say the least. The 'investigator' hasn't even had the decency to reply to an email I sent her not accepting her apology and asking that the matter be investigated thoroughly! Horrible company to deal with!
  • Ppaula

You can see here how much appreciation Ppaula has received from other members.

26 January 2017, 16:43

Hi eir_addy,

I too am in a similarly distressing situation with Eir since signing up to an account in March 2015 which I subsequently closed within the 8 day cooling off period. Six months post closing this account and confirming with the representative on the call that no money will be charged, in September 2015 Eir commenced emailing me a monthly bill for an amount of money. No details of this bill were provided in the email and no bill exists when I log into my Eir account online so to this day I do not know what this amount of money relates to or how it has come about.

From September 2015 to January 2016 Eir continued to email me this monthly bill despite multiple calls to them on which they confirmed this was an error that would be resolved. In January 2016 these emails ceased. In October 2016 I received a letter from a debt collector, Cabot Financial regarding this amount. At which point I again contacted Eir and again was advised that this was an error and would be resolved.

Following this I continued to receive a monthly bill from Eir in October, November and December 2016 but these bills showed a negative balance of -€1.35 i.e. they owed me €1.35. To this end I was satisfied that something had been done internally to resolve the situation and I was not concerned about recovering this €1.35 for myself.

Then today (January 2017 – almost 2 years since opening and closing my original account) I received another bill from Eir for the original amount they had been emailing me during the period September 2015 to January 2016. To this end I am at a loss. I have spent so many hours contacting Eir both by phone and email to resolve this issue. It’s disgraceful to think that one phone call opening an account with them nearly 2 years ago has resulted in so much unwarranted stress and upset. All I am asking for is to have this issue resolved by Eir and the continued emailing and text messaging to cease.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

26 January 2017, 17:18

Hi Paula,

My sincere apologies for your journey on this.

Can you PM your account number & name on the account? I'll look into this for you.

-Addy
  • Shelleir
    Occasional Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation Shelleir has received from other members.

6 February 2017, 12:03

Hi
    I have just gotten a text from AFS with my name in it . I had presumed this was an error initially as I confirmed with EIR my account balance was NIL after cancelling my contract in the 14 days cooling period. Very unimpressed at this shambolic result. It was 12 months ago that I had the stupidity to contact EIR for service , now they give my details to a debt collector. Horrified doesn't even begin to explain how i feel
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

6 February 2017, 15:51

Hi Shelleir,

Thanks for getting in touch & sorry to hear this.

I've received your PM in-relation to this & I'll continue to respond to you in PM. - Addy
  • tipperary36
    Regular Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation tipperary36 has received from other members.

9 February 2017, 21:42

I am furious to have received a text message from this debt collection company today.

Not only do I owe absolutely nothing to Eircom, my final bill actually has me in credit of €17.47.

I would like this situation rectified immediately.

It's outrageous that all of us have found ourselves and our good names put in this position.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

10 February 2017, 15:44

Hi Tippearary,

Can you PM your account number & name on the account? I'll look into this for you.

-Addy
  • robmurphypt
    Occasional Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation robmurphypt has received from other members.

12 February 2017, 23:56

Hi,

I am also in the exact same position. I cancelled an account in the cooling off period in early 2016 and confirmed at the time that there was no payments outstanding. I was surprised to receive a text from AFS asking me to get in contact with them, I had never heard of them before so I googled them and it led me straight to this page!! I thought maybe it was an isolated mistake, sadly I was mistaken.
    I have lodged a formal complaint via the online form, but with zero confidence it will be resolved in a timely manner. The response time given is 10 working days.
    To erroneously pass on my details to a debt collector like this is unbelievable, I am utterly outraged by this. There was no effort by eircom to get in contact with me, if there was this would have been resolved in minutes.
    It is obvious that there is some sort of systematic incompetence at work here. This does not need to be addressed in a half arsed case by case basis there needs to be a whole root cause analysis done and a collective apology to the customer base affected.
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

13 February 2017, 15:42

Hi robmurphypt,

My apologies for the experience & inconvenience you've been through. -Addy
  • Dolly83
    Occasional Visitor

You can see here how much appreciation Dolly83 has received from other members.

2 March 2017, 10:50

I have had the same issue. What an absolute joke of a company. So unprofessional. I called several times and was told my balance was zero but was repeatedly sent bills with increasing interest. Eventually when i finally spoke to someone with a brain in their heads, she found an outstanding cancellation fee (faulty line was the reason for cancellation by the way) and she also noted i had been billed extra fees in error too, so she reduced the outstanding amount, and i discharged it. The then wrote to me to confirm my balance was zero (which is something i had asked Eir to do for 2 months but clearly not capable). Since then I've have had the displeasure of the dopes from Arvato contact me. I'm truly exhausted dealing with the dim wits in Eir. I'll be referring this to the CCPC as Eir clearly aren't capable of running a their affairs. Further to this, if no debt was outstanding, they have no right to distribute my data to a third party - maybe a data access request of my file and all recorded calls is in order so i can pass that to the CCPC too. I wonder does the Eir admin above get bored of constantly having to apologise for the same inadequacies over and over again.

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)