Slow WiFi Coming from the F2000 Router (Solved)

Tags:
modem ,

JamieP
Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation JamieP has received from other members.

comments: 2
Author

9 March 2017, 15:42

Hi, this is a bit of strange one been honest. Any help anyone can recommend would be fantastic.

My wife and I are experiencing issues when using the Wifi on our Android phones and tablet, where webpages, youtube etc... take a long time to load. There is no problem on other devices such as the laptop I am using to write this from.

There is also no issue with the phones whilst connected through 4G or to other Wireless Networks. This also happens friends when they join the network.

When I attempt to do a speedtest, while there is an initial lull whilst finding the nearest server it returns results of Ping of 9ms Download of 50 Mb+ and Upload of 15Mb +

I have noticed however if I download a program to my phone such as "DNS Set" this solves the problem and allows viewing at realistic speeds. It is almost as if the Android devices in the house are been throttled.

Would you have any advice on this or what we could do to resolve this? As I am considering purchasing an additional modem to bridge the f2000 and have wireless run from this.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
Solved. Read answer here:

Hi Jamie,

Thank for getting in touch.

I'm afraid it isn't possible to troubleshoot these issues from here. I would recommend contacting the technical team & troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. You can contact them on 1890 260 260 or freephone 1901 option 2.

You can also use this link http://https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/ to chat with one of our agents and they will be able to troubleshoot the issue for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience. -Addy

View original comment
  • eir_addyeir_addy
    Community Moderator

You can see here how much appreciation eir_addy has received from other members.

comments: 952
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Broadband Expert

Broadband Expert

Answer

9 March 2017, 17:00

Hi Jamie,

Thank for getting in touch.

I'm afraid it isn't possible to troubleshoot these issues from here. I would recommend contacting the technical team & troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. You can contact them on 1890 260 260 or freephone 1901 option 2.

You can also use this link http://https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/ to chat with one of our agents and they will be able to troubleshoot the issue for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience. -Addy
  • AL117X
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation AL117X has received from other members.

comments: 4

12 August 2017, 14:41

Dunno if you are still having this problem Jamie.

I too was having the exact same issue as you describe with slow Wifi on the f2000 compared to my old router while browsing the web on phones/android devices with a lag/lull while connecting to speedtest servers, and with also getting a ping it seemed to take a long time to connect to the servers, but the results returned from the speed tests always seemed fine despite it taking a long time to connect to speed test servers.

So I tried many different settings in the f2000, with trying different dns providers to changing the wifi channels, disabling QoS, disabling 5ghz or 2.4ghz and testing but noting that I tried fixed the issue with the wifi coming from the f2000 router.

So I continued to use my second router tethered to the eir router as an access point just for wifi which works really well, but still I didn't want to use a second router just for wifi.

So again I did a search online to see if anyone else was having this issue and this time I came across your post and seen you mention "DNSet" so I thought id give it a try.

So I installed DNSet on my android phone and tested the wifi coming from the eir router again and lo and behold the lag/lull issue was gone when connecting to the speed test servers and while browsing the web.

but I didn't 100% trust this app so I didn't really want to use it, but I wanted to know what it was doing to fix the wifi issue with android devices, and noticed all that it does is to set the primary dns on the phone to 8.8.4.4 and secondary to 8.8.8.8.

now I always use google dns but the other way around 8.8.8.8 as the primary address and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary address but never thought to swap them around as I didn't think it would of made a difference anyway.

So back on the router configuration page I set the primary dns to 8.8.4.4 and secondary to 8.8.8.8 and rebooted the router, uninstalled DNSet and rebooted the phone and tested again. And it worked just like using DNSet I was now able to browse the web at realistic speed with no weird lag/lull issues. So cheers for the post I would of never figured out about swapping the dns addresses around only for it.

So it seems to be a weird combination between the eir routers, android devices and some dns addresses causing this issue. But i'm glad its fixed now was at it for a while trying to fix.
  • JamieP
    Newbie Poster

You can see here how much appreciation JamieP has received from other members.

comments: 2
    Author

12 August 2017, 14:48

Brilliant, being honest I connected in an old router I had from a few years ago and basically used it as an access point. Seeing what you have done however I'll play around with the dns settings and report back!
  • AL117X
    Newbie Poster

12 August 2017, 15:15

What I forgot to mention was that I manually set the DNS in two locations in the router settings. One under "Internet settings VDSL WAn-1" and the other under " Home Network/Lan Interface/DHCP Server"

So not sure if you need both, prolly not though and I think setting it in "Home Network/Lan/DHCP server" should be enough.
  • Bridge
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation Bridge has received from other members.

comments: 8

13 August 2017, 10:24

I have the same problem, speeds are fine but Wi-Fi keeps dipping . Was told I'm not paying for Wi-Fi !! Been on to tech support 5 times and no resolution . Can't cast as Chromecast losses connection. I've noticed the ip address keeps changing and I have to input manually to smart tv , should this keep changing? Will try your suggestion as I'm still waiting for Eir to resolve this and am totally frustrated.
  • AL117X
    Newbie Poster

13 August 2017, 17:23

Hi Bridget

If you were having the same issue like what me and Jamie were having and if my suggestion about the dns doesn't work for you can always buy a second router and connect it to the eir router over ethernet using the lan ports on both routers.

Until now I have been using an old router bridged to the eir router just as an access point for Wifi and never had any issues after that.

Its unfortunate we need to use another router bridged to the eir router just for wifi, but I just think the eir routers are flawed somehow as I have had 3 of them and they all had similar issues, so i'm not sure eir support will be able to help you with the wifi issues as i don't think they will admit their routers are the issue.

I hope you get it sorted anyway as I know how much of a headache it is.
  • Bridge
    Occasional Poster

You can see here how much appreciation Bridge has received from other members.

comments: 8

14 August 2017, 11:01

Hi
    Do i need to do anything else but plug in ? Only laptop in house has no port to plug into router. This is my second router and the courier said Eir had a faulty batch of routers and he is delivering them all over ! Interesting! It's so frustrating as moving to Eir was meant to solve my poor internet from another provider but at least I could watch U Tube , cast and browse web. This is hanging and speeds are good. You have been more help than Eir . Thanks .
  • AL117X
    Newbie Poster

14 August 2017, 14:02

Hi,

What I did with my old router/modem was to login to the settings page and configure it to just be an access point for wifi before connecting it to the eir router so there might be some configuration needed depending on what type of second router you get.

If you don't have the option to log into the routers setting pages via Ethernet ports to configure the router i'm not really sure if it will work, it could do but maybe not either, i'm not 100% sure on that. So might be best if you have an old wifi router from your previous provider laying around or you know somebody you can ask for a loan of an old wifi router to test this.

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)